20th January 2009

This is a great day.

Today, the 20th of January 2009 I saw Mich off for his first day of school right here in Irving Texas. I woke him up, he got dressed and was off without so much as a complaint (well except for the fact that he wanted to sleep a little longer).

Then I got myself a nice comfy spot on the sofa and watched the inauguration of the 44th President of the United States of America, so yea, that's another reason why this day is special.

Since I couldn't make it to the mall in Washington D.C, I took pictures on screen, funny huh?!.


We had a perfect view watching it on TV because one, we were in the comfort and warmth of our home and two, ABC reliably delivered all possible angles. I can confidently say I didn't miss a thing.
I got a little concerned when Barack begun the oath with a slip, I thought oh my goodness, the man is overwhelmed. I was relieved to later find out that Chief Justice John. G. Roberts made the blunder when he said the words in a different order from the way Obama had 'crammed' them and the way it's actually written.

Obama's speech was fantastic no doubt, calling people to take responsibility for the country and all but the man that took the day for me was Rev. Joseph. E. Lowery. He gave the prayer of benediction and my! was it loaded with love, hope, humility, longing, rejoicing, wisdom,soul... What can I say? he really did a good job and to think he wrote it just the night before, even more amazing. Hearing such a prayer from an 87 year old man in his frail and husky voice made the prayer fierce (another word for amazing).

"God of our weary years- God of our silent tears
Thou who has brought us thus far along the way."

By the end I had tears rolling down my cheeks. I will certainly up load the rest of the prayer in my next posting.

Mich had a great day, teacher Dee said he had lots of fun and was well behaved.

Otherwise the rest of the day was spent watching and reading something or the other about the inauguration and the inaugural balls' in the evening. Clearly there is no guessing what I'm going to dream about tonight;- O, O, O, now am getting dizzy.

In the meantime I will probably hola at our new neighbor, former President George Bush who is coming home to Dallas woo hoo!!!. I hope there is a welcome team or something because it would be sad if he had a silent return.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport