Found a church

After 4 weeks of church shopping we found what we were looking for. It fits the bill-I think (you know that sometimes what we want or think we want and what God would have for us are not always in sync). But the goal is to step out anyway, start with what you think is right and God will clarify things as you go along.

What was I looking for? well, here is the description;
Average sized church, not too big, not too small, size enough for us to develop meaningful relationships.
Free worship, I need to be able to lift up my hands and dance without being a distraction or a spectacle.
Friendly and warm atmosphere, a place where we can feel at home without bending over backwards to fit in.
Solid teaching, what ever that means.

Last Sunday we visited Living Hope Church.
We got to the door and were greeted by two or three people, in the mean time I was trying to figure out where Sunday school was when a lady came over (I think she was an usher), and gave me a welcome hug. I was still rilling over the fact that this lady hugged a perfect stranger when another lady came over, asked if we were new and invited us to sit with her and her husband - nice. She took us to Sunday school, waited for us to register Mich and you know Mich, as soon as he sees some fascinating toys, he forgets you ever existed but that's ok.
The songs were new to me but lyrics - very meaningful. When I noticed an error with one of the words on the over head I thought cool, these people are actually human so I'm in good company. I liked the fact that we sung choruses over and over impromptu, the congregation worshiped and prayed. At some point I saw a man walk up and pray for someone without being asked, I thought that was cool too.
The pastor is a nice guy, 60 years old, seemed like a funky granddad - one who is approachable, wise, loving, funny and tells interesting stories.

His sermon was on the theme "Nothings too hard for God"
Genesis 18:14 "Is anything too hard for the LORD ? I will return to you at the appointed time next year and Sarah will have a son."

Dan 4:35 "All the peoples of the earth
are regarded as nothing.
He does as he pleases
with the powers of heaven
and the peoples of the earth.
No one can hold back his hand
or say to him: "What have you done?"

That just sounds like a super hero to me.

Isaiah 40:28
Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.

These are a few of the verses that we looked at. I liked the fact that for every scripture he referenced we actually read. I get real lazy when a preacher mentions verses and then tell us to read them at home.
At the end of the service we all got wrist bands with the words "Nothing's too hard for God", its a nice way to always remember that God can handle everything.

I was ministered to, it was not so much about what they did or didn't do, I felt the presence of the Lord and had a personal encounter with Jesus. Do I sound too spiritual? well I don't know how else to put it.

For now I can say we are in business. Oh and Mich said he loved Sunday school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport