Testimony

About a month ago, Brad (my pastor) asked me to share with the church how I saw God work in my life since coming Philadelphia.
At first I thought he was kidding, I almost said "huh?? you talkin ta me?", (with the Robert Deniro face and accent), he was dead serious.
I wondered what gave him such a weird idea, but truthfully I will tell you I saw it coming.
I knew at some point I would have to share about the way I experienced God but I was hoping that day wouldn't come.
It's complicated.
Addressing a group of people isn't easy, I mean even two people is tough and we were talking about 100 some. I have trouble with this, my mind tends to go blank and then I end up saying silly things that are incomprehensible.
I tried to wiggle out of it, I said "you know, I could write it down and then have Sam read it to the congregation" (lame excuse right?!) . Nah, he wasn't about to barge, then I said "let me pray about it", what I really meant was let me adjust to the idea. I couldn't kid anyone, I knew I had to do it, not because Brad had mentioned it but it was something God had placed on my heart a while back.

I went home and starting thinking through my experiences and how I would put it all together. Believe or not I ended up writing 16 pages, when I told Sam he said I had to be kidding. It was way too long, he said I needed to get it down to at most 6 pages, then he would read it. "What?! 6 pages? how am I supposed to do that, there is too much to say".
Well, I got it down to 6 pages then Sam and Brad helped me to make it sensible. By the end of the whole process of writing and rewriting, I was down to 3 pages. I had only 30 minutes to talk, so I needed to be brief ish.
Unfortunately for you (my dear readers), it will go up to about 60 pages, because this is what I'll be writing about for the next days, weeks or months, so brace yourselves.

Anyway, so the day finally arrived. I got to church, Brad handed me the small mike to attach to my blouse and I sat and waited till he called me up.
He said something like "I would like to introduce our speaker for the day ..." (I don't remember the exact words). At this point I was asking myself, "how did I get in to this position again?", I wanted to run out the door but it was too late.
I stood up and smiled, looked at the congregation and a confidence I have never known came over me.

To be continued.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport