Background

Continued

I began by introducing myself and which country I come from. To give a bit of perspective, I shared a little about my background.
I come from a family of six children and I got the lucky ticket, I'm the last born.
For those of you who don't know what that meant, I will try to elaborate.
It meant, a good life, no stress, no worries, everything was sorted. I will give you a good example.
When I had just joined elementary school P1 to be exact, my brother Peter was the head prefect.
One day some boy wanted to take my pencil, I tried to fight politely. Then a friend of his asked him if he knew who I was and the boy had no clue. His friend said "that's the head boy's sister, she can report you to him. He will write your name in the black book, take you to the headmasters office for spanking, then they will call your parents". I don't think I saw the boy again, I just recall marvelling at what his friend had said. I had no idea I was so privileged, I liked that kid, he saved me.

In secondary school I was hardly teased, my sister was a teacher in the school so people knew better. I didn't apply for my first job, I just got it, good recommendations.
When I was asked how I got jobs with MTN and the World Bank, "well, I applied".
I'm basically saying things seemed to fall into my laps somehow, I didn't strive much.

Fast forward to two years ago, Sam got accepted to Wharton Business School in Philadelphia and we were thrilled. After a while it hit me that I was actually leaving my comfort zone, all that was familiar; family, friends, church, my job, my life as I knew it was taking on a new face. I was moving into new, uncertain territory, that was scary but I had no doubt that it was the thing to do. I said my good byes then Mich and I boarded the plane to Philadelphia (some of you might remember the drama on the plane and all).

Settling into Philly was absolutely crazy, we arrived in the middle of a heat wave. Yay! that was hot!. You know, I thought Africa was hot but this was something else, baking was an understatement. Then there was the culture shock, finding my way around, helping Mich adjust to this strange place with no family, madness just!. Sam was away almost all the time, school was too intense.
Anyway as you may notice, we survived to tell the story.

Slowly I became used to the life, I had one or two people I could spend time with. I knew my way around, we found a church, I found food that we understood, life was shaping up.
Then I found out that I was pregnant, fantastic!! there couldn't be a better time. I wasn't working, it was just like I was on leave and what better way to spend the time other than raising kids.

Not long after that Sam got an internship offer and we had to move to Dallas. Great!!!, just when I thought I was getting used to Philly we had to move again and start the whole adjustment thing. We had no friends there, I was told Dallas is scorching in the summer and as some of you might know, heat and a pregnant woman are not exactly friends. I began to get a little worried. My medical insurance didn't cover me outside Pennsylvania, I had to find a new doctor, we didn't have a car, Sam was going to be away Monday to Thursday. There were lots of uncertainties, that is when I was reminded of Philippians 4:6 -7
"Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life".
That kept me going, I knew that God would sort things out. There was a song that I kept playing over and over, it became my prayer.


Hide me Lord, under your wings
Cover me within your mighty hand.
When the oceans rise and thunder roars
I will soar with you above the storm.
Father you are King over the flood
I will be still and know you are God.
Rest my soul, in Christ alone
For there's power in quietness and trust.

I would listen to this song and cry, it was overwhelming. One thing was sure, God was sovereign and I knew He would handle my situations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport