Bunny?

As you may have noted by now, I love commemorating Easter and the events leading up to it.
Easter is the essence of my being – life itself.
Jesus took my blame, my sin, my shame.
He died so I could live.
The tomb is empty and my heart is full of Joy
He is risen!!
He is Alive, I just talked to Him today.

So, I’m musing on this deep stuff - thinking white robes, angels singing, satan- head hung low, coiled up, defeated and feeling like hell.
Then Mich tells me, with a grave look on his face how I must buy him Easter eggs, paint them and fill them with candy for an Easter egg hunt.
Commercials are buzzing;- easter bunnies, easter eggs, easter casseroles - the works.

Errrr… and just what does this rodent like, big eared, furry hopper have to do with Easter?
I’m told; Easter comes at the budding of spring which is synonymous with newness. Rabbits tend to give birth to litter round about now;- eggs are also synonymous with fertility. An ancient tradition started in Germany had Eoster as the goddess of fertility and some how the bunny was her symbol, people said it brought eggs and candy to good kids, kind of like Santa around Christmas.
So, you get the connection or have I confused you? Well at least I hope I did one or the other.

With all the egg hunts going on, birds must be on a serious egg-laying regiment round about now. While Mich gets high on candy, I’m thinking of tactful ways of keeping things in perspective. I want him to know that egg hunts and candy may be fun but Easter is really about Jesus' resurrection.
Thankfully, his dad, his teachers and Sunday school are backing me up.

I found a fascinating egg once, it had a sponge, a nail and a tiny paper scroll with the words INRI inscribed - a powerful statement about Christ’s death and resurrection.
What can I say? I like my Easter revered.


HAPPY EASTER!

Comments

  1. I can almost touch the joy in this one...Enjoy the season

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easter started from God thru Christ its amazing that in America is all about Easter eggs n bunnies,,,Wat about Christ the purpose for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know this about Easter eggs, Where i grew up from, it was about chasing the chicken and settling down to a feast later on in the day. Of course when I grew up I learn't that it was all about him dying for me

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport