My First Apple

Flash back

I made it into the room just in time to see Peter and Simon chew the last slices.
I begged for some but it was too late; already gone, making it's way passed the epiglottis and down the canal.

What a sad moment that was.

Standing as close to Peter as I could get, I looked in the black spot of his eye, desperately hoping I’d savor the taste as he swallowed.
When he finished I asked – nearly chocking on my tears.
“What did it taste like?”
He squared up his shoulders, cleared his throat and was about to explain when Simon shouted “It tastes like chocolate”.
Oh! My mouth watered as I relished the thought of munching on a chocolate apple.
“No” Peter said “He is lying, it tastes like a sweet raw mango”
Huh? I was confused.

While I was trying to think it through Simon asked me if I really wanted an apple.
My eyes lit up, I said “yes”.
He said, “You want it right now?”, more excited and louder I said “yes, now, now”.
He asked me to follow him into the kitchen which I did in a hurry, almost tripping over a stool. He smiled and pointed to the spiky fruit on the kitchen counter and said “this is an apple, a pine-apple”.
My little heart was crushed.

Uncle Henry, seeing the mess I was in offered to buy me an apple from Fairway hotel. It was the only place that sold apples. Some people didn't even know what apples were but curiosity was building pretty fast.
The apples were few - we had to sprint.
We scrambled out the door and run as fast as our legs could carry us. Uncle Henry trotted a long, out of breathe - nearly limping.
He pulled out 10 shillings from his worn out wallet and paid for my first green apple.

Without wasting time we dashed back home, headed straight to the kitchen, diced the fruit into 4 equal pieces and munched away just like we had seen in the movies.

Yumm! It had a sour-ish, sweet-ish taste, kind of like... a sweet raw mango.
My first apple.

Comments

  1. sockies Sleek!
    MamaMich, you can actually remember this..
    Hmmn... Not too shabby.
    It feels like i was there at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://edmokmg.wordpress.com/2008/06/12/my_first_times/
    just sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great memory yu have. !0shillings an apple.
    That Simon chap is really funny; offering a pine-apple for an apple.lol

    How is Mich doing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. petesmama5:27 AM

    Wow... what a pleasant memory! Very nicely written.

    I remember when things like sausages, jam, macaroni, cheese and butter were a rare commodity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. chocolate apple........
    ayi,,,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mbu pine-apple- anyway "they finished you". But what a memory wow.

    Eh Fairway hotel- there use to be a time when they roasted nice pork by the poolside, nanti them days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. B2B - Thanks for sharing.

    jny23 - It's been a while. Mich is doing just fine. Thanks for asking.

    Mudamuli - Thanks for dropping by.

    Petesmama - Yup! those were the days. Thanks for dropping by.

    Robyn - What was a kid to imagine?

    3toc - Kale! but you understand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the detail in this one is for world cup..and i love the way u wrote it. It feels novelish

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sleek - I can't stop laughing at your expression - "for world cup", thanks man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. haaahaa that sooo sounds lyk the uncle simon i knw !:)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport