Talent and tradition

I finished The Kite Runner yesterday, what an amazing novel!
While people have moved on to Olive Kitteridge I'm jogging a long on the edge of the crowds.

It feels like I travelled to Afghanistan, lived there, run a kite, fled the country, came back, got a thorough beating, healed from the wounds and became the proud parent of a little boy.
Hosseini's descriptions are so vivid - I smelt the air in Kabul, felt the dust settling on my feet and interacted with the locals.
I like that he treasures Afghan culture, that even after 20 years in a foreign land, Kabul is still home. He is in touch with the people, and their customs.
I had similar sentiments after reading A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Hosseini is/was a doctor, but he has mastered the art of writing fiction better than those schooled in the art. Sometimes natural God given talent opens doors that lecture theatres can not/may not.

His writing inspires me to hope that I too can live here and treasure the traditions of my people;- the Iteso/Japadhola/Bafumbira.
Not lose the essence of being Ugandan;- language, respect for elders and community
and keeping my taste buds alive to Eboo, Ekyadoi, Atap, Emagira, Bushera, Eshabwe e.t.c

Actually I would get on fine, but the question is, would Mich?

Comments

  1. Mjay, I am held captive by your blog-been at it for an hour now- there is so much of you in here that I feel like I have chatted with you over breakfast while we munch on Kabalagala, lunch while we ate Atap and Eboo without a sense of time and had supper under candlelight in a village somewhere. Your honesty and baring of the soul has inspired me to open up a bit more.Thanks for sharing your life...will keep reading. keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmn
    You seem to be moving along very well.

    I like this post.

    Secondly, there a fellow blogger's sister who moved to "outside" countries like you and she has just started blogging

    www.laboke.wordpress.com
    is her joint.
    Pass by sometime

    Thirdly, i received your Honesty Award with full appreciation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks B2B.

    Yup will certainly check her out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. would Micth...? honey i dont know...i guess its up to you to do your best...and let God do the rest...xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport