Bad company

I was chocked with anger and rage last evening.
Why?, you ask why?
Well of course you ask why, and I will tell you.

I spend a lot of time and energy training my little boy to walk the straight and narrow, to respect his elders, to obey and that sort of thing. It's a heavy duty assignment from my creator and I'm grateful that He helps me a long the way.

A neighbours child constantly knocks on our door pleading that Mich go out and play with him. For the most part I was hesitant, but certainly Mich appreciates "little" company so either Sam or I would watch them as they played.
Over time this child has left a sour taste in my mouth. You know that gut feeling that God gave mothers?. It's hard to explain, but it's there, you just know it when you see trouble, so I tried to keep Mich busy.

Just when I needed a justifiable reason to keep Mich away, an excellent opportunity presented itself.

After playing outside Mich was running his mouth off about many things. Like he saw a beautiful yellow butterfly with black spots, then he says "DJ and I have been breaking cars", shocked but thinking I missed it, I beg his pardon and he says "we have been breaking cars".
Toy cars?, what kind of cars?, trying not to let on that I'm absolutely freaked I took a deep breath and said " really? do you want to show me the cars?", he gladly says "sure, follow me".

To my shock and horror a car number plate had been unscrewed and was lying on the floor.
WHAT!!!!!
Clearly Mich had no sense of what he had done, he said he was following DJ's instructions.
WHAT???
I know he didn't do it, unscrewing bolts is not exactly game for Mich, but just the thought that he participated some how?! brrrrrrrrrr aaaagggghhhh.

DJ is 9, my baby just turned 5.

While I was extremely upset with DJ for tarnishing my baby's innocence I couldn't quite get my head round Mich's unconscionable act.
Is the conscience of a 5 year old not yet in gear? What happened to all our talk about good and evil? respect for peoples property?.

This is quite unnerving.

Why do I have to be tapped with such big wake up calls?, I wasn't even sleeping in the first place.
I turn monstrous and burn like a fire when someone messes with my boy; don't touch him physically, more importantly don't mess with his mind - just don't mess with him period.

Two things, make that three.

One, I run back to Jesus and ask for wisdom.
Secondly, I swell with pride to think my God gets a lot more ferocious than I can imagine when anyone tries to mess with me.
Finally, no more DJ.

Aah Parenting!
God, how do you do it?

Comments

  1. I can imagine the rage yu went through. Sorry my dear.
    Poor Mich. He thought it was just a new way of having fun. Even had the audacity to tell his dear mummy about it.
    That boy Dj, bad influence indeed; and why do i have a feeling he is hispnaic? He is a no no for yo son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks jny23, you are very understanding - I was absolutely enraged.
    Intrestingly Dj is black.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kale i can imagine what it must have felt like. Personally i think i am actually afraid of parently. God has surely given you the grace..

    Give Mich a kiss for me...xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. UG my dear, it's bitter sweet.
    Your kiss reached :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. uh oh!
    If you thinks DJ's bad, wait till you see the characters mitch will meet during high school!

    I must say, you handled it well! and i guess only God knows how to raise a child in this crazy world of ours!

    Bless
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. eizzy.k - thanks for dropping by and leaving me spooked about parenting :-).
    I'm hoping by the time he is in h.s, I'll have grounded him enough to make the right choices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bring him up to honor God in his childhood & he will bring you pride later.
    You are doing quite well.
    I pray that I will be a good parent...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport