Give me just enough

Unbelievable! simply unbelievable - the whole thing.

Lately these statements trot through my mind with more frequency;-
-Less is more
-The love of money is the root of all evil
-"Give me enough food to live on, neither too much nor too little. If I'm too full, I might get independent, saying, 'God? Who needs him?' If I'm poor, I might steal and dishonor the name of my God."

Most every weekend, huge pickup trucks drive into our complex. We see people loading up their property and moving out. On Saturday the drive ways were near deserted, I hardly saw signs of life in the area.

This financial crisis is really doing its thing.

Leaves me in awe of how God is keeping us.
We don't have much, the stakes are up against us but somehow there is peace, He continues to put food on our table and a smile on our faces.

Watching 20/20 the other day, I saw people literally go from riches to rags. It's incredible the dire poverty these tough times have brought on people. It featured a guy who owned a hedge fund now doing pizza delivery, a CEO now a cleaner.
A couple literally drowning in credit card debt, and lacking running water in their huge private mansion.
Not to mention AIG and the infamous Madoff.

How did things get this bad?
Obviously several factors come in to play but I think crazy money-love and lavish spending top the list.
The desire to have more than you need because you've got the means to purchase it. If you don't have the means, you find a way of acquiring it.

You know?! it's true - "Never judge a book by it's cover". While people may look spiffy, there is no telling how they are keeping up appearances. The outside might look flashy but debt is taking the run of the house.
While Africans suffer from power hunger and corruption - the bazungu and banyaga here suffer from credit cards and excess.
We want-they waste, but either way we all become silly, that is why King David was right to say "Lord, give me just enough".

Comments

  1. how true..excellently written too...this has been on my mind of recent..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Esquire, thanks for passing by.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport