Dog love

Americans never cease to amaze.

So the other day Oprah proudly announced she'd got a new baby.
I thought that's cool, she is adopting a child?!

"She's a beautiful little girl", I'm thinking okay, nice.
Then out comes a blond cocker spaniel (that's a type of dog - for those of you).
At this point the viewers are "ooh-ing" and "aah-ing".

Once we met a guy in Lancaster, real sad and miserable, when we got talking, his dog was under going eye surgery.
On another occasion, while taking a walk in Philly, I took this picture.
The dog was set in the drivers sit, alone, like the next minute it would flip out the keys and get cruising.
I like dogs, they are wonderful, loyal creatures.
In fact during my childhood my dad had 9 dogs, we played with them, taught them tricks, washed them- the works.

They stayed in their kennels and we stayed in the house.
When it was time to play we all went outside, no sitting room, dinning, kitchen, anywhere in the house sort of thing.
They ate left overs, and no, we didn't bottle fed them.
Even though they were nice and tame, they helped to keep unwanted visitors at bay.

Now, for some Ugandans it takes just seeing a dog to get them weak in their knees, then they are crying for their "mamas".
Remember houses in Nakasero and Kololo that had signs reading "Umbwa kali" meaning "fierce dogs" or something like that?.

When Oprah mentioned dog diapers and all, I nearly got Ma to the damn D E A kind of mad. The "whatchu talkin about?" bewilderment.
This money could really go to a good cause some where in Africa.
Ati dog diapers!

I know this might offend dog lovers but really, lets keep things in perspective - we are human and they are animals, we can't be on the same level.
Those diapers, diets, shampoos, e.t.c could fetch a little starving child a warm meal.

You will say in American style "we've got our rights", "I'll do what I want with what I have", true.
I just figured I might be fighting a losing battle here.

Comments

  1. Anonymous7:11 AM

    yep, losing battle it is, but totally noble

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:41 AM

    Dont't you just hate this craziness?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, They just get so attached to the pets...unlike humans. It might be some kinda disease.

    Am still pissed at some lady who gave all her wealth to some cat

    ReplyDelete
  4. the emrys- Thanks for dropping in.

    the phantom- thanks for passing by too.

    Emi's - lol, you are one funny one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport