Big D - 3 months down

It's been 3 months since I nestled in the warmth of Dallas and I'm loving it.

Texans have got this southern hospitality thing going on; they are free and easy, courteous, warm and involving -the talkative library guy not withstanding.
People greet, nod and smile as they cross paths.
Drivers will slow down or stop just so I can cross the road.
The post man calls me by name and asks about Uganda, while I'm still speechless, he asks about my husband and how he hasn't seen my little boy in a while.
One can have a genuine conversation over here and people remember, in some cases they will call just to find out how you are doing.

If only this was in the file of my first American experiences.

Philadelphia gave me the creeps in every which way, I'm still not over it.
At some point I thought I was the problem.
That I was weird for wanting to go beyond the surface in my relationships.
That shaking hands and giving hugs was so not right.
That speaking when I hadn't been spoken to was just crazy.
That allowing Mich to run around unsupervised, (by that I mean not watching his every move), could land me in the hands of the law.
Whatever went down on the East Coast? or is it Philly?


"Philadelphia" certainly wasn't any where near "the city of brotherly love"; that name was misappropriated.
I will not even start sighting examples, they are way too many. We wouldn't like to spend the entire day reading one post now would we?.

I have dragged the city through the mad way too long.
But I don't apologise.

Sure, it had it's high lights, can't think of any right now though.

Okay. I loved it for its rich history, I learned about America's childhood and run up the Rocky stairs.
The Liberty bell, -"Let freedom ring".


Congress hall, where the declaration of independence doc was signed.


Rocky Balboa statue, if you haven't watched Rocky I, II, and III, look out for it. Does the name Sylvester Stallone ring a bell?

There was lots to see and do.
Armish life, interesting religious sect in Lancester county.

Plus, it's a walkable city.
I didn't get why people swore by the Philly cheese stake though, I got to eat one, maybe it was the African in me that shone through.


Comments

  1. Socks.....

    From watching cold case i have this idea that Philly is one crazy, rough place...and from movies and telly i thought people in TX were racists..

    Goodness what the media doesnt do to harm human mind..

    How are you though my dear..?

    ReplyDelete
  2. UG- all of that is true to some extent,a lot of 'salt' added though.

    I'm holding up real good, thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:38 AM

    Sounds like you are having the time of your life. You should post a couple of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tuwmi-Most certainly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness, Philly is like that ? If you'd told asked me which one of the two cities - Philly or Dallas - did that happen to, I'd have said Dallas without hesitation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport