The Birthday Boy

It was a pretty calm day.
Got up about 6:30am.
The birthday boy woke up to a happy birthday duet by his dad and I.
He was really excited, he said " I have been waiting for this day a long time". Turns out he had done his own decorating in the middle of the night so my balloons added to "his" touch. He had paper strings placed around his bed.
That was about all the peace we had that morning before...
"mummy, where are my power rangers?"

We got him some really nice clothes but I hadn't wrapped them (my bad), then he says "mummy they are supposed to be wrapped", now I'm thinking what have I got myself into? little boy can't settle, is not too thrilled about the clothes ...
I was tempted to start the "in our days" talk, but we had a whole day a head of us, so I told him to have fun at school and that we would be passing by.

Sam and I had planned for him to celebrate the day with his friends at school and Ms. Dee was in on that.
We showed up at 10am. The kids were all excited except the birthday boy. "Mummy, mummy, did you bring the power rangers?" "mummy..."
"Mich relax, you will get your presents at home, you are not allowed to have presents at school because all the other kids will want to take them"
That seemed to settle things for a bit, then it was "mummy, mummy, can I come home with you?" "mummy I want to go home now"
We haven't even shared the cup cakes or sang happy birthday at this point. Meanwhile his friends are eagerly waiting. I'm thinking, this is getting really embarrassing.
We finally get to sing for him, eat some cake and before he could start "mummy, I want to ..." I said "Ok Mich, have a nice day, see you later" I gave him a big hug and we were out the door.
I was a little flustered that he was so jittery, wasn't grateful for what we had done and then wanted toys so he could show off.

Ok, so I take some blame for not teaching Mich to be grateful with what he is given - how ever small the gift, even if it's not what he dreamed.
After musing on this a bit I realise other factors come in to play.
1 - Going to birthday parties where parents out do themselves with all sorts of presents for their kids (young fella begins to think he can have flying monkeys)
2 - Issues with trying to fit in and be cool, you know?!, getting liked by the other kids, (oh why would kids be having pressures so early? he has a whole life of that a head of him).
3 - It's just a crazy era to be growing up in, let alone being right here ( this is when I really miss home)
Whatever happened to the days when just drinking a soda made it all exciting, or getting a dress, a packet of biscuits?

He finally came home and found his presents on his bed. Then he said "This is the best day I have ever had. Mummy you are the best mummy in the whole world. Daddy you are the best daddy in the whole world".
Shortly after that he was looking forward to his 6th birthday and telling us all the things he would like. That is when I lost it and we had a serious talk about being grateful, now he only mentions the things he wants when we are saying the grace.

Comments

  1. Anonymous2:07 AM

    LOL at "now he mentions the things he wants when we are saying grace"- at least he knows who to ask eh?


    I agree with you on the pressures of today's child.

    The good thing is he will learn early- how to be grateful for the little things in life.He will.
    I remember getting excited about a bottle of soda(mirinda) and some marie biscuits.Let see I think my dad used to give me two new Kitante uniforms when I was amongst the top five in Class. Or a 200 paged exrecise book from Nairobi banange!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3TOC -Absolutely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tea Marie biscuits definatly...oh how i remember those days..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:43 AM

    LOl!! Reminds me of my 5 year old. Just like your son, he is facing the pressures of being cool! So you can imagine how unamused and embarrased he sometimes becomes when you turn out dressed in what he thinks is not smart enough! I used to scold him about such little things but realised its a way we humans are wired and the most one can do is try to encourage him not to dwell so much on being cool! Thats a task I must say. Meanwhile, an elderly friend told me the cool factor gets worse for little boys when they turn 7 so brace yourself mama:)

    Funny but I got the wish list for his next birthday right after celebrating his 5th and he can't stop telling whoever cares to listen about what his next party shall be like!

    So on a whole, regarding asking for more gifts after recieving some, I believe that its not that they aren't grateful but they simply can't hold down their anticipation for the next item on their rather long wishlist!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maya - That's comforting, atleast now I know it's bigger than my son or me for that matter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport