You get it all

Mich celebrates his 5th birthday tomorrow and it seems like he's in a hurry to hit some targets before he shows all fingers of one hand.
For a while there school was like a horror story but things a looking up now.
Yesterday, straight from school, bag still on his back he said "mummy 't', 't', 'in' - 'tin", I was thrilled, finally he is beginning to understand how words are created.
A week ago he said, mummy, you know what?, "a consonant and a vowel put together make a blend". Yeee! thumbs up Ms. Dee, you are doing a great job.
He told his Dad "reading is easy", but fell back on that one, every time we tried reading together he got really frustrated.
Anyway, lately his favourite bed times stories have been "Elmo's alphabet" and "Eating the alphabet". Noooo!, I kid you not.
Mich loves stories, long stories, stories that go on and on and keep him captivated to the tale until "the end" or "and they lived happily ever after".
There have even been times his head was heavy with sleep and I've thought, phew! no story tonight, then as soon as I lay him down he says "mummy we haven't read a story", (shoot!)
I respond "Mich, you are really tired, we will read it tomorrow" (absolutely wrong move), he will sit up like he was never sleepy in the first place and demand his story.
So, moving from that to "A" is for Apricot, "C" is for Corn? some one pinch me.
Last night I was so eager to watch American Idol, I made sure dinner was ready, we ate and Sam kindly put Mich to bed.
After reading a story, praying and saying goodnight we kept hearing crushing sounds from Mich's room, I brushed it off because he is known to use that to get attention.
When Sam walked into the room a little later, ah!!
The wall was covered with miniature ink prints of Minnie mouse. Aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!!
He had a session with his dad then I sat him down and explained why what he had done was wrong, that decorating the wall with stamps of Minnie mouse wasn't exactly cool. He seemed surprised that we were not pleased, he was just trying to make his room look good. I'm hoping that we shall not be discussing something like this again, at least he seemed to understand that.
Raising a child takes a lot of wisdom, so where as this was so wrong and we can't get it off the wall, it was a first time.
Yep, with parenting you get the whole package, the good, the bad and the ugly.
And now we try to clean up the mess, which I suspect is going to take a long time.

Comments

  1. You are enjoying parenting....I'll try to relax a bit with my niece, she still can't say Mummy even though she's already 8months, and her alphabet book is always open...I'll put off the pressure for a while and she does try hard

    ReplyDelete
  2. 8 months?? peeesh! don't even think of stressing just yet, "daddy" comes easier anyway. I know that pressure makes things worse so you are right, chill a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but the minnie mouse stamps are cute!
    I'm just saying:)
    I used to write on walls, with whatever they left lying around including eyeliner and lipstick.
    Mich is adorable:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ScotchBiscuits??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:38 PM

    bambi mama Mich, I am with ScotchBiscuits on this one- nga they are cute.Infact I was just laughing when you said tata Mich found him "making his room look nice".What is it they say?Out of the mouthes of babes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kale mwe!
    I will still be around when you get to this stage, just make sure to hola :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport