Mapengo already?

Last week Mich picked up an apple to eat and gave up on it before I could say "when".

He nibbled a bit and put it a side, when asked why he'd lost appetite so soon he said, "I tried eating it from this side but I wasn't biting, then I tried it on this side and I wasn't biting". He was basically trying to use his molars to bite into the apple.

I did a dental check and found out that my baby, my little boy, my cutie pie, is about to lose his first tooth.

Childhood memories came flooding back, I recalled the fun Simon and I had shaking loose teeth until they came off.
Simon was the crazy one, he once tied a loose tooth with a piece of thread and attached the other end to a door nob, and... I leave you to figure out the rest.
My elder brother Peter lost a tooth while munching on his bread one morning, I don't quite recall if he found it or just discovered it was missing - meaning he swallowed it :-).

Emphasis was placed on the importance of presenting evidence and informing adults once a tooth was out because they were the middle men between the little people and the rats/mice. You wanted to obey that rule because otherwise you risked missing the gift.

Speaking of mice and teeth, I'm wondering whether I should do the whole tooth fairy thing with Mich. For starters it's not true, but it's lots of fun for the kid. I remember my imagination running wild just thinking about this rat that travelled from miles away carrying a present on it's back because he had been informed I had lost a tooth.
Several years later I figured it out, I don't think I was disappointed but again, it's not truth.
I'm thinking of just letting Mich know that I will give him a little something for each tooth he loses but then I might inspire him to knock them all out so really..., advice anyone?

The part I didn't like was being called "mapengo", a Swahili word for toothless.

But wait!, Mich is only 4 years old, how is this happening so soon? Isn't this supposed to happen at 6 or 7 years of age?
But on the other hand, it makes sense, this is the same boy who started teething at 4 months. You can imagine my shock when I set him to breastfeed and the fellow was sharpening his incisors on me.
4 months people! what ever happened to 6 months, 1 year, you know, like the books say?
At the same time my insides feel like jelly - my baby is growing up, before I know it he will be a teenager, a college grad, a husband, a father, a grandfather eh! this is getting spooky.
How do you describe the state of being exhilarated, anxious, hopeful and elated all in one word?

Parenting is an amazing package, full of surprises, ups and downs, In's and outs and everything in between.

Comments

  1. SOCKS FOR THIS ONE....

    Honey i dont know what you should do. I dont remember how i found out about the tooth fairy not being real but i guess its up to you conscience. Me i am coming to you when my baby starts teething...xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:49 PM

    LOL at very soon Mich will be a husband,father, granddad. Let the dude lose his baby teeth first.I once heard a lady describe what being a parent was like as " before I had my heart within my body, after I had kids my heart walks out of my body"- as in she is fearful for them most of the time.

    Yes, the first teeth do fall out at 6 years but that is an average.Nature has a way of doing it's thing.

    To tell or not to tell about the tooth fairy? By the way, why do the people in outside countries get a tooth fairy and we got rats/mice?
    Anyway I do not know the answer to whether you should tell or not, but telling him means you risk him telling his other friends that what their parents want them to believe is a lie(tooth fairy business).Hard one that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugandan girl, I will be here for you, to wipe your tears (of joy) and all that.

    3TOC, atleast you understand where I am coming from.
    You sound like a doctor, the info you give and all. You must be a good one already or in the making.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:48 AM

    "u cant guess what am doing right now...am just laughing my head off and evryone is axing whats gone so right with this guy!!! Its Mapengo!!!! I cant imagine seeing ma man without his beloved teeth!!
    Ohhh My GOOD mICH....so did you finally eat the apple??
    its just hillarious and am sure when his grand ma read this she's gonna laugh and fail to have supper!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:49 AM

    i was kind of low today but reading your blog has put a smile on my face..Mapengo brought back memories...but your imagination of a ka rat running with a present...i've laughed coz i was really imaging a rat doing that..i've just fumigated and killed many that were in an outside store so imagining it with a present....i don't know...you mean mich was teething at 4months...eh...caleb is growing soo fast, he's heavy and i'm wondering what he'll be like at 6 months...

    ReplyDelete
  6. C'mooonnnn!!!

    The kid has got to have something magical a free rein of imagination! It could be the 'rat' who brings the gift - it's a tradition. It won't hurt him, he will not be traumatised when he discovers the 'rat' were really his parents - look how we turned out.

    Haven't you seen those films or read those books where there's the boring kid whose parents raise not to have an imagination, (because stories about the tooth fairy and Santa are not true?)

    I mean does this mean you'll never read the Narnia Chronicles to him because they are not true??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:51 PM

    Who knew there was a fairy rat in Uganda! We have the tooth fairy in the US. I always thought it was a princess. I am with Kymbugs. After reading an article around Christmas time in the Wall Street Journal (of all places)we decided to go the route of make believe parts of culture. This god-fearing author decided to go with Santa and the imagination:

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122963990662019887.html


    Although, as Christians we want to temper the culture and make Christ the predominant importance of the season.

    But I think it is a conscience thing, requiring wisdom for each family to choose.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport