All things Mother

I dedicate this week to mothers;- mommies, grand mothers, mothers in-law, name them.

I start this mini series with my moms favourite song from the 70's.
In those days it was either radio Uganda or nothing.
David Ogwang or Mike Arereng would say "Kampala, Mbale, Soroti, Kabale, Kotido... every where - habaaariiigaannii!!!"



SWEET MOTHER

Sweet mother I no go forget you
for the suffer wey you suffer for me.
Sweet mother I no go forget you
for the suffer wey you suffer for me.
When I dey cry, my mother go carry me--she go say,
my pikin wetin you dey cry ye, ye,
stop stop, stop stop make you no cry again oh.

" When I won sleep, my mother go pet me,
she go lie me well well for bed, she cover me cloth, sing me to sleep, "sleep sleep my pikin oh."
When I dey hungry, my mother go run up and down
she go find me something when I go chop oh.

Sweet mother I no go forget you for the suffer wey you suffer for me
When I dey sick, my mother go cry, cry, cry, she go say instead when I go die make she die.O, she go beg God, "God help me, God help, my pikin oh.
"If I no sleep, my mother no go sleep, if I no chop, my mother no go chop, she no dey tire oh.
Sweet mother I no go forget you, for the suffer wey you suffer for me.

You fit get another wife, you fit get another husband, but you fit get another mother? No!
And if I forget you, therefore I forget my life and the air I breathe. And then on to you men, forget, verily, forget your mother, for if you forget your mother you've lost your life.

By Prince Nico Mbarga 1976

Comments

  1. Memories Memories Memories.
    Going to download this song for ma listening pleasures.

    On behalf of Mich, i dedicate this song to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. petesmama1:46 AM

    I love that song! Where did you find it??

    ReplyDelete
  3. socks mortals...

    ReplyDelete
  4. that song actually has a video??!!woah...interesting..the English is hard to read though

    ReplyDelete
  5. This song reminds me of radio ug....omg.....it non stop....lol...

    ReplyDelete
  6. what is habaaariiigaannii.
    i love this song, I didnt realize tht other Africans enjoy it too, thot it was only a Nigerian thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. jny23 - Aawww!! thanks.

    Petesmama - searched for it on the internet, this was the best you tube video I could find.

    Sleek - Hehehe, I guess it's easier if you look at the lyrics while listening to the song.

    Ug - Only radio ug.

    Omo - It means, "what's up?!" or simply "how are you?", "How are you doing?" something like that. It's a greeting.
    This song will always be a hit anywhere in Africa.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport