Dear Mich

Here's a note from mummy, just thought I would give you a little peek into when God colored our lives with your presence.

Sooner or later you are going to read mom's blog, I hope you will find it a fun read and not boring old peoples stuff.


So anyway...that morning I saw two blue lines.
Putting the little gadget down to one side, I reread the instructions on the packet just to be certain of what the two strips meant.

Aaah?! I was pregnant.
The queasy feelings were not from food poisoning after all. I shared the news with your dad just before we left for work – it was exciting but a little overwhelming.
I became a mother the moment you were conceived.

Soon, the skirts, dresses and trousers were ill fitting.
I didn’t have to tell my workmates, it was written all over my face – the glow, the chubbiness that crept on slowly and then picked up speed.
I started getting those “I know what’s going on glances” - I was good with it.
It was a natural process; your dad and I loved each other – you were a gift from God.

I was always thrilled to feel you move and kick and somersault – a reassurance that you were alive and having fun. I could easily tell the position of your feet and hands; they were never still except when you slept.
After 9 amazing months of unsolicited advice, getting “lucky you” glances from friends and colleagues, enjoying special treatment from men, even taxi drivers and conductors - it was time for show.
You didn’t like the idea.
But eventually... mind boggling, out of this world intense pain – the kind that ushers all the gory unspeakable words ever to the fore of ones mind. Yeah, that is how you announced that you had finally made the decision to leave your comfort zone.
Daddy rubbed my back like he was about to unearth diamonds but honesty if felt like a light massage.

Oh! When I saw you, it was love at first sight – the Lord had been good. You were healthy – 10 fingers, 10 toes, eyes, ears, everything was perfect.
It seemed like the end, but it was actually the beginning.
The beginning of sleepless nights, breast feeding, baby blues, memory loss, the beginning of joys unspeakable; watching you learn to smile, laugh, roll, sit, crawl, stand, walk, run, fall, talk – miracles!
Responsibility.

It's been great so far and I look forward to many happy years with you.

I had an inkling that you would be a boy and I thought Mich would be the perfect name. It means blessing - you are a blessing, a gift from God and the scripture that was our minds as we looked for a name was Psalm 127: 3

Psalm 127:3-5
Don't you see that children are God's best gift, the fruit of the womb his generous legacy?Like a warrior's fistful of arrows are the children of a vigorous youth. Oh, how blessed are you parents,
with your quivers full of children!
Your enemies don't stand a chance against you; you'll sweep them right off your doorstep.

Comments

  1. its just amazing
    mothering and ushering someone into this world.
    its a miracle to me that just keeps on happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mjay, this is so moving!! so much taht i dont want teh socks to this. am suck a sucker for hearty parent-child talks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport