For you a thousand times over

Mummy! my leg hurts.
Mummy! I fell down.
Mummy! Look – see what I can do.
Mummy! How do I handle this?
For years you've embraced my desire for attention - my selfishness.

When I tripped, was scared or troubled, “mummy!” was the first word to escape my lips.
Your warmth, your tender touch, the loving gaze, your quiet spirit.
I loved to rest my cheek on your arm – soft and smooth to the touch.
With you I felt secure, who cared what happened?
The times you were silent, yet fully aware of what was going on - waiting patiently for me to divulge.

I cherish the way you lean over, placing your ear close to my lips to hear what I have to say, even after all these years.
When we were hungry you fed us with the best, the choicest, I could literally taste the love.
I know I can count on you.

It never crossed my mind that you too needed love, to be asked how you were doing, or how your day was.
I was solely engrossed with self.
Who listened to you when you had just about had it with us?
By the way, did you ever get to that point? It sure didn’t show.
Strength, Love, Support, Advice; - a few of the virtues that only begin to describe you.

You never cease to amaze. Your hand bag was some kind of factory.
When my shoe snapped – you had sandals on the ready.
When it begun to rain – out came the umbrella.
When my skin was cracked up and dry – you always had a lotion to spare.
When my dress was torn – you had a needle and thread there.
A band aid and cotton wool, dettol and spirit, a cabinet full of tablets for every illness that showed up by surprise.
Amazing woman!

Today, I’ve got a family of my own.
Concerns for Mich - will he grow up to love Jesus? to be gentle man? tough and tender? responsible? respectful? loyal? hardworking? ….
The molding is full of ebbs and flaws, uncertainties, and questions.
But to think you did this 6 times over blows my mind.

I treasure you.
I respect you.
I honor you.

Every day is Mothers day.

Mummy - ‘For you a thousand times over’

Comments

  1. your writing is phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Spartakuss

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is beautiful...

    mothers are un-measurable treasures...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport