Home drama

Every one in town knew the shiny blue Toyota Corolla, registration number -UVT 636.
It belonged to Daddy.

When he hooted at the gate we all scampered to clear any messes then run out to welcome him. The first there carried his briefcase, while slower folk shut the car doors and checked the boot – daddy always brought home something interesting.
I remember once he brought a beautiful bird that he found by the road – it had pretty colors.
I was all somersaulting (excited) thinking about making a bird cage, feeding it with millet grains, bread, and water – anything to keep it alive.
Another time, I opened the boot and found the cutest, most energetic puppy I ever saw.
Pearl (the name I christened her) took my breath away.
She wagged her tail, jumped up on me, licked my palms, chased me - Oh! it was just like destiny. That was the beginning of a long friendship.

Each day when I'd come home from school, Pearl would be eagerly waiting. She would wag her fluffy tail and tag at her chain as if to say "I missed you all day, you better get here quick or else this chain will be history". I would run up to her, pat her, run my fingers through her fur then head into the house to put down my bag and have a cup of tea.
Pearl would give me this sad look as if to say "Is that all? I waited all day and that's all you are giving me?... what you do to me!".
I know - a dog, yeah, wild stuff!
But then again, isn't that why they are called mans best friends?
Before I get all side tracked talking about Pearl, I was about to tell you an interesting tale about Daddy.

Hmmn, I guess that will have to wait till my next post.

I might as well dedicate this post to Pearl seeing as I'm almost half way.

So anyway, after tea, I'd change into my play clothes and run outside for some Pearl and me time.

She would chase me around the compound until I was rolling in the grass, laughing hysterically. Then she would sit up with her ears pointed, and tilt her head to the side, as if she was amazed at how much fun I was having. If I dared to get up, she was always on the ready to chase me again, then I would plead with her to stop.

Then, check this; one morning she decided to follow me and my brothers to school.
We used to walk, you see. School was not too far.
We kept yelling "Pearl go home!", she would turn to leave, but as soon as we begun to walk again, there she was trotting behind us.

She followed us, passed the golf course, through the valley and up to the school gate. I can't begin to describe the drama she caused. Kids were peeping through windows, standing on top of desks, others were screaming like they had already been bitten (kids imagination!).

We decided to ignore Pearl, we walked to class like we never knew her- she was on her own.

We got home that evening and there she was - tongue dripping, tail wagging, jumping up and down.
"Welcome home guys, you won't believe what kind of day I had. After dropping you off to school ...."

Comments

  1. streetsider3:41 AM

    beautiful... simply, consider yourself bookmarked with immediate effect.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport