Cell group

This evening I attended my very first cell group meeting at the church office. I was very excited when I got to know that my church was cell based, it reminded me of church back home and the cell that Sam and I hosted in our house.
The meeting was scheduled for 6:30pm and I got there about 6:50pm, apparently I was early because I found the leaders having dinner. That is one thing I need to adjust in my schedule, having dinner early. Back home Sam and I had dinner at 9pm and it was good time for us, here we get invited to dinners at 5pm, by 8:30 - 9pm I'm twidling my fingers and thinking of another snack.
Mich and I had just had evening tea so we were not particularly hungry at this point. People begun to show up and we later found out they had all had dinner before coming.
The cell agenda was pretty much the same as in KPC, here it was referred to as "wwww" welcome, worship, word and work (prayer and involvement in the community.
As we fellowshiped the intimacy of sharing the same faith became so real. Putting aside all the adjustments of moving to a new place, the joy of singing the same songs and worshiping one God made me see life in a whole new perspective. I realised more that in the big puzzle of life, we must always recognise Jesus as the master piece, once you find Him and put Him in His rightful place, then the rest of the puzzle will come together. Even though I was meeting some of these people for the very first time, it felt like one big family.
As we introduced ourselves we were asked to mention our favourite icecream flavour and why. When it was Mike's turn he said "my name is Mike and I get beaten up once every year". We were all silent waiting for him to continue and in my mind I thought either he was cracking a joke or that was the way he described his profession. It turned out that he had been beaten by an unknown gang the previous night on his way home. That was sad and scary that people would just beat someone up for no reason, they didn't want anything from him.
The emptiness in the lives of the youth growing up in west philly seems to cause bitterness, anger and rage in their lives that they want to let it out on innocent people. That was certainly another eye opener to one of the major prayer needs here. At the end of the fellowship we prayed for him and his wife and other needs represented in the fellowship. We were also able to get a nice young lady to babysit while we had the meeting and that worked out wonderfully.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport