Poison Ivy??

Yesterday Mich got up from his afternoon nap with a swollen eye and was scratching himself very intently. That was a bit of a surprise, it wasn't swollen before he went to bed and he didn't seem to notice the difference. I checked his bed to see if there could have been an insect that bit him but there was nothing. Immediately my mind went back to the play ground he had been at just before, apparently there is a poison ivy plant there and Mich had been by it but only briefly, I panicked.
Poison Ivy is a very dangerous plant that has some kind of sap that is poisonous and if you get in contact with it you are basically in big trouble. It causes a very itchy rash, swellings on the body, sometimes a fever and it takes a week or so to cure. He had some of the symptoms, the itching and a little bit of swelling over the areas he scratched but there were no cuts or open sores. Before I knew it he had taken off all his clothes and was scratching himself all over. I told Sam about it and he suggested I buy hydro-cortisone from the pharmacy, it helps cool down the itching. I got it and smeared it all over Mich's body, it would be very itchy and then after a while he would forget about it and play. At some point during the itching he said "mummy, I'm not well", I agreed and explained to him what I thought had happened and what the cream was for, then he asked "how about crying?". In the midst of this I couldn't help but laugh, I told him that this time crying might not help much. I prayed over him very fervently, I prayed that it wasn't poison ivy and asked God to heal him knowing that God is the doctor of all doctors.
I thought if this was poison ivy it would be important to take all that he was putting on and wash it in order to prevent further contamination only I couldn't find his pants.
We spent the night together, I tried to console him, help him scratch and put some more cream on him in the middle of the night. Things got better and he slept. In the morning I asked him how he was feeling and he said he was fine and that he had scratched the sickness away. I didn't want to take chances thought, I mean I still wasn't sure if it was poison ivy or not so I called up one of my friends and she gave me some very useful insights, what cream is best recommended, the number of the university hospital and also the number of her paediatrician. While Mich seems fine now I certainly have to sort out my medical coverage and get him to see a doctor not just for this time but whenever something else comes up. Would you call that a mixture of faith and works?
By the way I found his pants today in the most weird place, in his toilet bowl. I think he wanted to get rid of them, hmmm!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport