Nigeria's Independence - Party


Yesterday Sam and I were invited to celebrate Nigeria’s Independence with a party held by the Nigerians'at Wharton and hosted by Tolu.
Yeee! Another excuse for a party.
We got there an hour late because Mich had to take his nap but we were pretty much in good time, people had just begun to arrive, you know us and time keeping.
The lobby to Tolu’s apartment was pretty raw, it looked like construction was still going on, the cement had not been smoothed out and no final touches had been made. You could actually smell the cement as you walked in.
I concluded that he was in a hurry to move in and couldn’t quite find another apartment so he settled for this. We took the elevator to his apartment, yet again something really strange, the lifts were open until people stepped in. That was weird because it has always been the reverse, the lifts are closed until you press the button to use it.
We went three floors up but man! That was one of the most scary lifts, one side was made of just glass, so you could see everything outside, the cars, the roads, the buildings, got my stomach tied in notes.
We finally get to Tolu’s apartment, the sitting room was so bright, the sun was shining right in, and it hurt the eyes. Again, one side of the room was almost entirely glass, you could literally see into the middle of the city. Some one commented that if he was timing the bus he would know just when to leave his apartment because he would be able to see the it coming down the road.
Tolu’s apartment was like one big space which had been subdivided, the walls of each of the rooms didn’t reach the ceiling. I was just thinking, incase he got locked in or out of his room that wouldn’t be a problem he would just climb over. This was one of the most interesting buildings I had ever seen. The pipes for all the different house facilities where hanging from the ceiling. It reminded me of the houses I had visited back home where people decide to move in and do the finishing’s while living there. The only difference was that Tolu’s apartment was pretty much done; everything was as it should be. This kind of housing I’m told is called a loft, quite interesting I must say.
It was nice to hang with the Nigerians for a bit, brought back memories of home. The music being played was familiar, the food was not too far off, and it was a nice way to spend the Sunday afternoon.
I noted that the guys were focused, as soon as they arrived, they did their round of greeting and immediately headed for the food, then sat down to eat. Which is a little different from the other functions I have attended, where people stand around and talk endlessly, sitting is not necessary, if you need something to eat, get it and continue to chat.
I got to taste pounded yam for the first time, it looked like posho (maize flour) but certainly tasted different, it’s a taste you probably get used to over time. I was happy to see Emolokony (cow hooves) tasty as ever, the chicken tasted just like the one in my village and then there was some mixture of greens.
Just before we left Mich decided he wanted some more of the greens, then one lady commented “he likes pepe” , I thought I had finally got the name of the dish so I said, “oh, so that’s what its called?”, she didn’t seem to get me, she repeated “ it’s got pepe, he likes it that way?” and I said yes “is that what you call it?” she didn’t seem to quite understand my responses so we let it pass. As I headed to the elevator it finally hit me just what the lady was trying to say, her accent was a little strong so I didn’t get it but she was noting that the food was “hot” and wondering how Mich liked the “Pepper” duh!

Comments

  1. Anonymous2:33 AM

    But Mary, how can you talk about Kampala and not remember our dear mayor, and bird flu (or is it bad flu?!) mmm??!BTW, we have since taken to rearing our own chicken - free rangers. We figured we could put our large infrequently-used compound to good use. The other day, 2 of them didn't please me in the least. They have since found their place in the freezer. The remaining 2 stay clear of me (and my things!)- I reckon they picked the cue:))Will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:28 PM

    Ahhh the Pepe was so amusing … had me ROTFLOL (rollin on the floor laughing out loud).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehe, I had a good laugh myself, literally all the way home and for days after.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport