Count your blessings

The transition continues as I settle in, even then I can't help but think about all the things I miss back home.

I miss listening to the 'morning show' on Sanyu fm, they have some really crazy topics for discussion each morning.
In the building next to Rwenzori House there was a guy who sold pancakes every morning. I didn't buy them but I knew he would always be there as I passed on my way to work. (I miss the smell of Pancakes not the guy).
Then there are those little boys who are in the mobile manicure, pedicure business. They are cheap, easy to come by and can do a great job if they mean to. I was looking at my toes the other day and thinking how miserable they are. I can't just walk out the door and get the job done for 500shs (less than a dollar) as I used to back home. I haven't yet ventured into these beauty shops but I doubt it would be less than 15 dollars (30k). I don't think I should even be trying to make the conversions because quite honestly it doesn't make sense.
Ofcourse nothing beats the bodaboda guys (motor cyclists) on Kampala streets, yeah I know they can be a pain, making paths where they were none and all but you have to give them some credit. They get you to your destinations in good time, I guess I can say that because I never got an accident on them.
In Philly there is no such thing, you either take the bus, the train, the trolley or you walk, or drive for that matter.
I certainly don't miss the dust and load shedding, I'm quite happy to put on my sandles and walk for miles without my feet looking like I came from the garden. Did I tell you how candles flow freely here? there are candles of all shapes and sizes, if my visit was shorter I would pack a box to last me a year.
Its getting chilli here, the summer is over and now we are in fall. The sun shows it's face less and less, and even when it's there you don't quite feel its heat. The days are still bright but its quite clear that we are headed for winter not too far from now, oh yeah and it rains alot. That's when I think about the fantastic weather in Uganda, and the so appropriate MTN jingle "yello sunshine, yello sunshine everyday...". By the way the other thing I miss are the MTN jingles, (Big Dawg I still have beef for you).
You know, when you live in a place for long there are always people you see on the street whose faces become familiar. You might not necessarily know them personally but you see them quite often that you somehow get the feeling that you know them. I miss seeing those faces, here its stranger after stranger on the street, I guess with time I will be saying the same things of them.

I didn't mention "Katunda" (passion friut juice), and "dodo" (greens), "Kalo" (millet), "ebyenda" (cow intestines'), the list goes on and on.
I hope Ugandans are counting the blessings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport